Nail Polish Review Essie Fall 2014 Collection - Dress to Kilt

30 October 2014

This is the perfect collection for fall... beautiful, cosy, deep, dark shades balanced with a gorgeous neutral. We first about this collection here in early August and since then I have featured the namesake shade in my Top 5 Polish Choices for Fall 2014 and created a Half Moon + Leopard Print nail art look with some of the polishes from this collection. 


Overall Comments:
Like I mentioned... perfect collection for fall. I also love the split between warmer and cooler shades, ranging from light to dark. Every single shade had a perfectly creamy formula, pigmented and dried very glossy! Every shade only needed 2 coats for opacity except for one... it was a one coater!

take it outside: a punchy fresh taupe
Colour: Taupe/Greige | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: No | Rating: 9/10

Comments: Essie describes it as a fresh taupe with a whisper pink but I didn't lean pink too much. It is a pretty greige... a perfect nude polish with just the right about of grey for fall. This was almost a one-coater but because the essie brushes lean on the smaller side, I couldn't load enough polish on the brush to paint it in just 1 coat. The formula was perfectly creamy and opaque in just 2 coats. It dries to a very glossy finish and is self-levelling.


dress to kilt: a seductive red
Colour: Red/Maroon | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: No | Rating: 9/10

Comments: Essie describes it as a red but it is definitely a dark red/maroon. It is the perfect way to wear a classic red manicure that is little muted and cosy for fall. It is almost a 1 coater... but I added a second coat since I was going to take close up pictures of my nails and wanted perfect opacity. The formula is the what we have come to expect from essie cremes... creamy and opaque in just 2 coats with great self-levelling properties and a glossy finish.


partner in crime: a rich dark chocolate with deep mahogany undertones
Colour: Dark Browm | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: Yes | Rating: 9/10

Comments: Essie's description is spot on... a rich dark chocolate brown with the deep mahogany/red undertones. I have never liked brown as a colour in the past, but this year I have really opened up to wearing brown nail polish. This is definitely a great way of wearing super dark and vampy nails without going for the jet black look. The formula once again was just perfect!


fall in line: an enigmatic jade green with grey undertones
Colour: Greyed Teal | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: No | Rating: 9/10

Comments: I really don't see jade... I see a muted teal with grey undertones. This colour is very hard to describe but it is just so pretty! The first coat was a little sheer (unlike the previous 3 polishes) but a second coat made it perfectly opaque and creamy. It also has great self-levelling properties and dries to a glossy finish.


the perfect cover up: powerful grey with teal undertones
Colour: Dark Teal | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 1 | Topcoat: Yes | Rating: 10/10

Comments: Although essie describes this as a grey with teal undertones, I think it is a darkened teal with grey undertones. The formula is very pigmented and only required ONE thing coat for this perfect opacity you see in the picture. Since I applied a very thin coat, I didn't give the polish a chance to self-level and had to apply top coat for a smooth finish. I can't wait to try a stamping look with this polish!


style cartel: an inky cobalt blue
Colour: Cobalt Blue | Finish: Creme | # of Coats: 2 | Topcoat: No | Rating: 10/10

Comments: Essie's description is spot on... this definitely reminds me of ink! Unlike the other 5 polishes in this collection, style cartel had a jelly-like formula that gives it this yummy squishy look!! The jelly-like formula also means it wasn't perfect opaque on the first coat but a second coat made it perfectly opaque with a super glossy finish. I love how this isn't too dark like many navy blue polishes where you can't even tell it's a blue... it's dark, moody, dramatic and definitely BLUE!


I hope you enjoyed reading this post and my thoughts on this collection.

I loved the entire collection! In fact, 4 polishes got a 9/10 and 2 got a perfect score! My favourites are definite style cartel followed by the perfect cover up! Which one is your favourite? I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments below.

- Hetal

5 comments:

  1. Really nice fall shades. Loving the last three in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly are! I also love the cooler shades best!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Fall (or Autumn as we say in the UK!) most definitely has the most lovely colours! :D

    Viv
    www.vividnailart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viv! :) I agree.. such beautiful cosy colours for the Fall/Autumn season!

      Delete
  3. satta king
    play bazaar Your lifestyle influences the way your hair looks. Being stressed,

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top