Diwali Nail Art

23 October 2014

As many of you may be aware, today is Diwali and I would like to wish all of you a Happy Diwali and a Prosperous New Year.

Diwali also known as the "festival of lights" is an ancient Hindu festival celebrated in autumn every year usually between mid-October and mid-November. The date changes every year because the Hindus follow a different calendar based on the lunar cycle. The festival spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness, knowledge over ignorance, good over evil, and hope over despair. It is celebrated by lighting diyas (lamps and candles), prayers and enjoying mithai (sweets) with family and friends.

Diwali Nail Art

There are many symbols of Diwali including the diyas (lamps), rangoli designs (designs created using coloured powders on the floor), religious symbols, lights, fireworks, sweets and food. The typical colours for the festival include red, green, yellow and metallics like gold.

I wanted to keep my nail art very simple. So I chose the colours red and silvery-gold and created a 3-dot grouping that is patterned across my nails. This pattern looks very Indian to me and I can see it being incorporated in Indian clothes, fabrics, henna designs, etc. At the same time, with these colours and pattern, I can totally see myself wearing this look during the holiday season in December too.

Diwali Nail Art
To create this look:
  • I started with 2 coats of a beautiful metallic red shade, In My Santa Suit by OPI from the Mariah Carey 2013 Holiday Collection.
  • I then added the pattern with my dotting tool using a silvery-gold foil, jiggle hi, jiggle lo by Essie from the 2014 Winter Collection (click for swatches and review).
  • I finished off the look with 1 coat of good to go top coat by Essie. In the image below, I added 1 coat of OPI Matte Coat to the finished look for a beautiful matte finish.
Diwali Nail Art

As much as I love the glossy finish, I am absolutely loving how the matte coat transforms the metallic base to a super chic and luxurious satin look! Which finish do you like better?
I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments and I hope you enjoyed today's post.

- Hetal

5 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top